We are often asked if rubber mulch is safe for dogs and children if it is accidentally eaten. GroundSmart™ Rubber Mulch has been tested using the European toy test method EN 71-3 which determines if heavy and toxic metals will leach out of a product when exposed to stomach acid should a person or pet consume a piece. Nothing was determined to leach out of GroundSmart™ Rubber Mulch when exposed to stomach acid.
GroundSmart™ Rubber Mulch is 99.9% metal free, making it safe for both children and pet to play on. The Environmental Protection Agency has studied rubber mulch and found it to be a safe, non- toxic material, posing no health hazards to pets or people.
Dogs and small children are prone to chew on anything (including other surfacing materials like wood mulch, grass, dirt) so be sure to monitor them if you’re concerned about them chewing on rubber mulch. As with any accidental ingestion, it is always best to monitor them until the non-food object passes. It should pass without incident but a digestive blockage is always a risk, so consult your veterinarian or doctor if you have greater concerns.